"The Superior Man" by Benjamin M. Woodson, states: This characteristic, this ability of the exceptional man to make one of the surest and most meaningful marks of the superior man, is his ability to make himself obey his own commandments. This thought has always stuck with me, even though I haven't really always followed its precepts. This is an attempt for me to think through, write out, and share my experience in trying to become the Superior Man.
Wednesday, July 6, 2011
Chivalry, a lost art?
Last week I was out with my wife, who is 39+ weeks pregnant. One of our favorite dates has always been to go out to Barnes & Noble and peruse the books and magazines, sit an read, and possibly buy something. We wanted to go one last time before the baby comes. So we walked around and looked at the patriotic displays and of course the children's books and then made our way into the sports section where my wife found a book she wanted to test out. We spotted an empty seat and she headed toward it and I continued to check out the titles on the displays. Suddenly, I hear my wife say, "oh, your saving that for some one? Okay." I turn around and my pregnant wife is walking away from an empty seat, denied her by some uncivilized 20 something man. I was pretty ticked! To top it all off, by the time I realized what was happening, this guy and his friend, who also happened to be a 20 year old dude, walked away from the seating area! (I decided not to confront because that makes my wife uncomfortable, otherwise, I would've had no problems telling that dude off.) So, what gives? Was this guy just an idiot? My wife is clearly pregnant, and the seat was open - pretty sure you can't reserve seats in Barnes & Noble unless you are eating at a table in the cafe area. When did men stop giving up seats for pregnant women, women, and old women? Ridiculous! I will resolve to be more chivalrous, to open more doors and give up my seat. That's part of what being a better man is all about.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment